Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bookworm

Gavin is the ultimate bookworm. It is hard to catch him without a book in his hand. I try to encourage him to broaden his horizons and play with other things, but it usually doesn't last long. Today was the first warm day of the year (for those of us in Chicago who consider anything above 40 degrees to be warm). It was the perfect opportunity to send the kids outside to play and get some exercise. I got them bundled up and sent them out. Five minutes later I looked outside to see this....



Matt and I are always saying things like "Gavin no more studying today", "Gavin you are not allowed to read right now", "Gavin time to put the encyclopedia away" and then commenting on what a surreal life we have. I never thought I'd have a child who would consider having his reference books taken away to be the ultimate punishment or whose favorite Christmas present would be the classical composer of the month club (I'm not making that up). They call children with Asperger's the "little professors". That pretty much sums him up! 

No comments: