Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Boys

They are loud. They are messy. They are fiercely loyal to each other (often at my expense)
They can drive me crazy racing around the house with their games and experiments......











BUT, I am so lucky to have them!
Abe was only a few days old when we began our journey into Gavin's autism diagnosis.
At the time I was terrified at the thought of having 2 boys so close together in age (they had the same due date 2 years apart). Especially when one had special needs. Sometimes it feels like I have twins.

Today I had this conversation with Abe....
Abe: "Mom, why does Gavin always play alone on the playground?"
Me: "Gavin's autism makes it difficult for him to make friends sometimes."
Abe: "Well, I will always be Gavin's friend."
"Next year I am going to play with him at recess every day. He's gonna love it."
And my heart melted.

These two boys have such a special relationship. It is sometimes devastating to see how difficult peer relationships are for Gavin. He has struggled so much this year with teasing and bullying. My heart sinks when I see him walking alone on the playground day after day.
But, when I see these two together it makes everything all right.
I am so grateful for the knowledge that no matter what happens in Gavin's life he will always have his best friend, Abe.

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Karen, I LOVE this! What a great brother, and what a sweet lesson to all of us. When do I get to meet these great kids of yours??? Come visit Utah!!!!

Tiffini said...

My boys find each other on the playground--I think it is sweet. My Zach is one of those wander the playground alone kind of kids-I so know that heart sinking feeling as a mom. You just want to find somebody they can connect with on some level.